Product Review: DeWalt DW703 10" Compound Miter Saw
By Damien Andrews
While I do have two saws capable of compound miter cuts, I don't use the feature very often. When I do need to make two angled cuts simultaneously, however, it's very nice to be able to. It ensures that I won't ruin the first angle when cutting the second. Having a compound saw allows me more freedom to choose which way I want to cut my single angles, depending on my project and lumber. I can rotate the detent plate or angle the saw itself.
The DeWalt DW703 10" compound miter saw showing the left side profile. This angle shows the rear blade angle adjustment knob, adjustable fence, detent adjustment knob and the solid, table saw base.
Here are the features of the DeWalt DW703 10" compound miter saw as listed on the DeWalt website:
• 15.0 Amp motor, 5,000 rpm delivers extended power and durability
• Stainless steel detent plate with 11 positive stops improve productivity and ensures cutting accuracy
• Tall sliding fence supports crown molding vertically up to 4-1/2" and easily slides out of the way for bevel cuts
• 0-50° miter ability (left and right) for greater capacity in all cutting applications
• 0-48° bevel delivers increased capacity for out-of-square corners
• Lightweight (33 lbs.), head lock-down pin and built-in carrying handle for increased portability
• Ideal for use with the DW723 miter saw stand
The DeWalt website also lists the following critical specifications for the DeWalt DW703 10" compound miter saw:
• Amps 15.0 Amps
• No Load Speed 5,000 rpm
• Blade Diameter 10 "
• Arbor Size 5/8"
• Vertical Capacity: Baseboard Against Fence 3-1/2"
• Vertical Capacity: Crown Molding Vertically Nested 4-1/2"
• Horizontal Capacity: Baseboard Lying Flat 6"
• Horizontal Capacity: Crown Molding Lying Flat 5-1/4"
• 45° Bevel Cut Capacity (dimensional lumber) 2x6
• 90° Cross-Cut Capacity (dimensional lumber) 4x4"
• 90° Cross-Cut Capacity (Max Width) 2x6 dimensional lumber
• 45° Miter Cut Capacity (Max Height) 2x4 dimensional lumber
• 45° Miter Cut Capacity (Max Width) 2x4 dimensional lumber
• Tool Weight 33 lbs
• Shipping Weight 37 lbs
The DeWalt DW703 10" compound miter saw comes with a carbide blade, dust bag and blade wrench. The blade wrench is sturdy, offset for easy use and unobtrusively attached to the saw body.
The DeWalt DW703 10" compound miter saw showing the saw's front. The detent adjustment knob is conveniently located directly under the blade's front. The knob is used for locking, but a push catch (behind the knob) must be released to allow the detent to swivel.
DeWalt has a large network of authorized service centers, in the unlikely event you have a problem with your DeWalt DW703 10" compound miter saw. DeWalt also offers a fine warranty. I own three DeWalt tools and have never had a problem with any of them, and I work all of them very hard. DeWalt is also an American company, with its home offices in Maryland.
Having used my DeWalt DW703 10" compound miter saw extensively during my relatively short period of ownership, I can highly recommend it to both professionals and advanced DIYers. It's a tool that will enhance your collection and give you many years of superior service.