FACT: 15 pounds is the average weight of a turkey purchased for Thanksgiving dinner.
Fast & Easy Soup Recipe for Leftover Turkey
Hot Turkey Soup Recipe for 8 People
By Damien Andrews
The most popular use for leftover turkey is sandwiches. And that's great, but there's usually a lot of turkey meat left after people finish getting their sandwich-appropriate turkey pieces off the bones. This recipe is a great way to make good use of those leftover turkey parts and pieces that nobody wants to use to build a sandwich.
Use this fast, easy recipe to make a hot, delicious Turkey Soup for eight in less than an hour. Serve it with leftover side dishes like yams, casseroles or vegetables to create a great meal that's sure to please.
What You Will Need:
1. 7-8 cups of turkey broth (if you don't have enough, you can substitute chicken broth)
2. ¼ cup chopped carrots
3. 1 cup chopped canned organic tomatoes
4. 1 cup chopped celery with leaves included
5. ½ cup chopped onion
6. ¼ cup chopped parsley
7. 3 tablespoons white or brown rice
8. ½ teaspoon salt
9. ½ teaspoon paprika
10. ½ of a bay leaf
11. 2 cups of chopped turkey meat, white or dark or both
12. ½ cup chopped turnips (optional)
13. ½ cup leftover gravy (optional)
14. ½ cup leftover dressing (optional)
Combine the first 10 ingredients in a soup pot. Simmer on medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Add the chopped turkey meat a little at time, stirring until you have a thick soup. Add more seasonings to suit your taste. Add the gravy and stuffing, if you have any left over. Cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Serve hot.